Tuesday 16 February 2016

Contemporary Art meets Elegance

RELE ART GALLERY
15 military road, Onikan, Victoria island Lagos.

I had been feeling rather gloomy and desperately needed something to boost my mood when I decided to visit the Rele art gallery. Initially, a friend of mine had brought the place to my attention adding that it was a beautiful place to let off steam and get lost in the maze of one’s imaginations. On Friday the 12th of February I ventured out.
The art gallery is easy to locate. I got off at Obalende and just boarded a straight bike headed for the art gallery. Once I pulled up in front of the building, something struck me. The building is painted black! It’s rather striking if you ask me. Lol. You know how these artists are mostly mad lol. It’s all respect as I am absolutely fascinated with artistes who know their stuff. Back to my adventure… I found a security seated beside the building who was kind enough to show me to the inside of the building.
I walked into the building and was completely taken aback… inside the building was WHITE! Imagine the contrast!! It was so beautiful to witness. Believe me! I just felt so good. I got the impression that the owner of the gallery liked to keep things simple BUT dramtic…




I guess the reason why the inside was so white was so as not to take the shine from the art pieces in the exhibition. Once inside, I met a lady who asked me to put down my name on a hard- cover notebook so they could contact me at a later time. How refreshing? Lol.
The Front Desk Lady

I quickly assembled my camera and started taking pictures. The entire exhibition on display was one by Ngozi Schommers. I must say her pieces are so real. She managed to capture a lot of emotions in her pieces using just dots of colorful decorated sheets. It was so real for. I found myself lost oh so many times. My favorite art work is this very work. She looks lost but I feel like she knows that God got her. Like me.
Now all pieces are named but I chose to rename them in my mind. I guess that is why it is art.




The most striking piece for me was this particular one but it is not one of Ngozi’s pieces. It just called out to me.
This is how I feel when I think of my life. 23, single, jobless with numerous other problems. I wish life could dish better things on my plate. Back to the post, I finally got to the lady in charge of foreseeing the daily affairs of the art gallery. She had quite a lot to say. She said that Rele art gallery is owned by a well-travelled woman who had observed that Nigeria did not have art galleries. She’s all about motivating young minds to come out and appreciate art. How refreshing? The gallery supports contemporary arts. Plus admission is free. Yes, you heard right! ADMISSION IS FREE!!! I said it louder for the ones at the back. Lol. All the art works in this post are for sale so you can get any.

You should totally visit Rele Art Gallery. It is a cool place to unwind and lose track of time. Big s/o to Todun for being my inspiration. I am officially an art lover. I hope you enjoyed this post. Bye till later.


  Xoxo, The lagos Rebel.

No comments:

Post a Comment